Monday, January 13, 2014

Paleo Spicy Chicken and Tomato Soup

There is nothing better on a cold and snowy day then something warm and filling in our bellies. Soup is definitely one of my favourite meals of all time. All soups, I love them, and I enjoy making them myself as I have control over all the vegetables and flavours. I am a big believer in adding vegetables into pretty much everything I eat and with my little picky eater, I have been slipping extra veggies into all kinds of meals. Why not? if I can trick him, then I feel pretty clever. It is fun feeling like I have one upped my three year old, who has proven himself to rather clever as well. Its a game of tricksters. Silver lining is that the kid does get a lot of veggies in his diet.

Last night's dinner was a big pot of tomato and chicken soup. So delicious. I was really happy with how all the flavours worked together and how the veggies were a little crisp but still infused the broth and the chicken with a yummy, rich, warm flavour. I kept it lightly spiced but I imagine you could also add to the spiciness by throwing in a bit of fresh, chopped red chili peppers on top of the spices. I actually did not feed this to the kids, as I made it with a bit more of a kick then I think they would enjoy. I cooked the veggies and the chicken before hand, and fed that to the munchkins instead.

Paleo Spicy Chicken and Tomato Soup

Ingredients: 
2-3 chopped chicken breasts.
1 yellow onion, chopped.
2 cloves of garlic, minced.
Two leeks, diced. 
2-4 celery stalks, chopped small. 
2-4 carrots, peeled and diced. 
1 full red pepper, chopped small.
1 full orange pepper, chopped small. 
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes.
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes.
3 cups of chicken broth.
1 1/2 tsp chili powder.
1 1/2 tsp oregano. 
1 tsp cumin. 
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions: 
1. Cook the chicken in some coconut oil. Put aside.
2. Use the left over oils and begin by saute the onions and garlic. Cook a couple of minutes and add the leeks and the carrots. Let cook for a bit, before adding the rest of the vegetables. Cook about 10 mins.
3. Add the chicken, and spices. Stir and cook for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and broth. I used my hands to smush the whole tomatoes before putting them into the soup (after washing my hands thoroughly of course). Allow all the flavours to boil up and simmer for 10-15 mins. 

Wonderful for lunch leftovers. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!! I will definitely be using this recipe before the end of the week :-) Sorry to hear your little one is a picky eater, must be a pain in the behind, but from the pics he looks like a healthy little bugger so seems like you're doing great :-)

    ReplyDelete