Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"Creamy" Paleo Vegetable Pasta

Guilt free creamy pasta? yes please!!! I love pasta, I really do. All versions, all sauces, tossed, baked, cold, hot, smothered in melted cheese. Ohhh yum. Unfortunately, my poor tummy doesn't always enjoy the richness or heaviness of pasta and it sits there, feeling like an enormous weight that tires me and weakens me. My body just does not seem to enjoy digesting all those heavy carbs. So, we have been experimenting with all kinds of different types of "noodles" and I have discovered some truly delicious tricks that my stomach and my tastebuds thoroughly enjoy equally and happily. I will be sharing a few recipes I have played around with.

The first was a really simple recipe using the creamy avocado. Honestly, avocados are truly the most versatile vegetable (wait, its a fruit isn't it?). You can make so many things and it is such a little powerhouse of healthy fats, rich folic acid and vitamin K and more potassium than a banana. Basically, it is a super food for a reason. I had heard of people using it as a pasta sauce, to get away from the creamy, cheesy alfredo sauces so I thought I would try it myself. I paired it with some baked spaghetti squash and eureka, one of my new favourite dishes was created. I topped it with some bacon and some veggies and really, it could not have made me happier. I encourage everyone to give avocado a try as a pasta sauce, especially with a vegetable "noodle". You will not be disappointed. I should mention that I gave my fussy little eater some of the pureed avocado and he ate it all up, licking his plate. It is always a good sign, when LMG cleans his plate, to me as his ever-worrying-about-his-health-because-I-am-crazy mother. Also, I apologize about my pictures. They do not do justice. I am still "mastering" the IPhone camera.

Creamy Paleo Vegetable Pasta

Ingredients: 
- Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ripe avocado 
- The juice from 1 lemon
- 2-3 minced garlic 
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3-4 pieces of bacon, fried and crumbled.
- 1-2 Leeks, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- Half a pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half. 

Directions: 

1. Turn on your oven to 375. Cut the spaghetti squash in half (also, if ANYONE out there has a good way of doing this that doesn't involve me hitting a can on top of my knife, I would love to hear it...). Remove the seeds and guts. Rub the coconut oil over the flesh of the squash and sprinkle sea salt and pepper to taste. Put the squash flesh down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-45mins. 
2. Using a food processor, add the avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic, to taste. Add some sea salt and a little pepper, again to taste. Puree until smooth. Set aside. 
3. Using a small amount of either butter or bacon grease, saute the veggies until soft. The flesh of the tomatoes will blister. Set aside. 
4. Once the squash is cooked, using two forks, pull the flesh into noodles. It happens easily, put into a bowl and toss with the avocado sauce. Top with the veggies and crumbled bacon.
5. Enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Crystal-Ann,
    This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete